Pages

Saturday, 28 March 2015

Amsterdam with Motherbear

Saturday, 28 March 2015

This past week has been absolutely wonderful, seriously! My lovely mother came to visit me in Amsterdam for a few days and I had such a nice time. I've been feeling a tad homesick lately and she cheered me right up.

We stayed in the lovely 4* Best Western Amsterdam Couture which was a dream and spent our days relaxing and catching up. We walked and trammed around the city being big tourists and foodies.


As she didn't arrive until the evening we had quite a chilled first night. I met her at the airport for a good ol' cuppa and then we set off to our hotel. Once we checked in, we decided to go for food nearby and after checking TripAdvisor, found ourselves in Ron Gastrobar by Ron Blaauw, a former 2 Michelin star chef. My mum went for the Wagyu burger with patatas bravas and tarragon-sorrel cream and I settled on soft shell crab with red pepper, paksoi and shrimp dumplings. The food was delicious to say the least and presented so beautifully!


The next day we wandered around the Museumplein (museum quarter) in the morning and had brunch at the Lunchkiosk. After this, we visited the Bloemenmarkt (flower market) and Waterlooplein markt (a little flea market in the centre).

Then onto Museum Het Rembrandthuis, where the famous Dutch painter, Rembrandt lived and worked until he went bankrupt in 1656. It was really interesting to see how the house looked when he lived there and also to see some of his etchings and paintings of his contemporaries.


We then visited De Foodhallen, located in Amsterdam's Oude-West Hallen-Kwartier. I am so glad we took the trip out to visit this place because it is absolutely amazing and I highly recommend you take a look if you're ever visiting Amsterdam. This indoor food market is in one of the halls of what used to be a depot for the maintenance of the city's first electric trams - and you can still see the tram lines running through the middle of the building. With 20 food stands full of delights to choose from, this will be any foodies dream. The slow cooked beef steak & mushroom pie and the spinach & feta pie from Wild Moa Pies were to die for and so rich in flavour. I also had to introduce my mum to beef bitterballen with truffle sauce from De BallenBar by Michelin starred chef Peter Gast. Within De Hallen-Kwartier there are also many boutique shops which sell such beautiful items.

On our final day we visited the Albert Cuyp Markt (another street market), Dam Square and The Nine Streets for a spot of shopping and browsing.

After I waved my mum off at departures I was so sad to see her leave but it was a lovely break from revision and has really motivated me for my exams next week. Really looking forward to finishing these exams and looking forward to summer. Fingers crossed I pass them all!


No comments:

Post a Comment